The Yecla Bullring was built on 29th September 1867. The idea came from 7 bullfighting enthusiasts from the town who requested the land for its construction and the town council gave it to them free of charge.
According to the chronicles of the time, the premiere was experienced in an atmosphere of total success. Throughout its history, the bullring has hosted bullfighters of the stature of Lagartijo, Rafael González "Machaquito", El chico de la Blusa, Larita, Saleri, Copao, and Ricardo Martínez "Yeclano". The last stage took place between 1969 and 1975, when the Yeclano bullring was closed until 1981, when a bullfighting festival was held in spite of its advanced state of deterioration. And so it remained until 10th July 1988, when the Peña Taurina de Yecla organised the first bullfighting festival.
In this reopening calf bullfight, fans will be present and the proceeds will go to the reconstruction of the bullring in Yecla. The rehabilitation of the Yecla bullring had a budget of 90 million pesetas. It was carried out in three phases. The work was started by the mayor Don Vicente Maeso and completed by Don Domingo Carpena, the president of the Peña Taurina Yeclana being Don Antonio Gonzálvez Martínez. In October of the same year, 1988, the Town Hall, in view of the success of this bullfighting event, undertook the reconstruction of the Yeclán bullring.
Finally, on 14th April 1991, the Yecla Bullring was reopened with a bullfight with bulls from the Marqués de Ruchena and the matadors José Mari Manzanares, José Ortega Cano and Juan Antonio Ruiz "Espartaco". The bullring, classified as third category, registered a full house in the 5,300 seats available. The impresario who managed the inaugural bullfight, together with the Town Hall, was Victoriano Valencia. The band of the Asociación de Amigos de la Música de Yecla was in charge of livening up the bullfighting festivities, which began with the performance of the pasodoble "Gloria al pueblo!